Monday, November 1, 2010
Halloween Kale Salad
This is a great salad to take to a dinner party or prepare for you own dinner party. The raw kale can be "dressed" hours in advance and it actually tastes better when the salad has had a bit of time to mingle. I had made a similar salad a few weeks ago, just not as fancy.
We went to a pre-trick or treat party last night and I wanted to bring a salad that looked a bit like Halloween so I combined kale, carrots and roasted pumpkin seeds.
1. In a large mixing bowl, coarsely shred washed/dried kale leaves.
2. Pour a large glug of olive oil over the kale and massage oil into the leaves with your hands. Allow to rest for at least 15 minutes.
3. Add some other salad veggie for color or texture. I went with a cup of shredded carrots.
4. Grate Parmesan cheese over salad, add a good swig of balsamic vinegar, salt, pepper, and garlic salt.
5. Toss, taste, add more seasoning if needed.
6. I added baked tortilla chips and roasted pumpkin seeds for a bit of chew and crunch. You could also add chopped nuts instead of seeds or chips or none at all.
The salad will wilt a bit but will still tastes great the next day.