Sunday, October 31, 2010

Spicy Red Bean Dip

Spicy red bean dip
I more-or-less followed Everybody Likes a Sandwich blog's recipe for red kidney dip.  I couldn't bring myself to add cinnamon or maple syrup but even without the sweet ingredients, I'm definitely making this again.

2 T olive oil
1 onion, finely diced
4 cloves garlic, minced
pinch of salt
2 T curry paste
2 T tomato sauce
1/4 t cinnamon (did not use)
1 can kidney beans, drained & rinsed
a few good glugs of sriracha (if you like things really spicy)
1 t maple syrup (did not use)juice & zest of 1 lemon (used only lemon concentrate)
In a small saucepan, heat oil and saute onions and garlic until soft. Stir in the salt, curry paste, tomato sauce, cinnamon and beans, and stir things about until everything has heated. Add in the maple syrup, lemon juice and zest, stir and remove from heat. Using a potato masher, mash the beans well. If you like a smoother dip, use a blender. Adjust seasonings if necessary. Cool slightly and serve with tortilla chips, crackers or vegetable sticks.

I added the bean dip to romaine salad greens and white-corn tortilla chips that I baked in the oven yesterday.  This was easy and very tasty, I"ll be making this again.

Astrid

No comments:

Post a Comment