|Paula Deen's Krispy Kreme bread pudding|
The Paula Deen recipe for outrageous Kripy Kreme bread pudding has been around for a few years - and I've wanted to try it every day since then but couldn't come up with a good enough excuse to not only eat Krispy Kreme's but add eggs and sweetened condensed milk and rum glaze!
I finally decided that agonizing over this recipe for years is not healthy so I decided to make it this week. It's been a jinx ever since then. First I couldn't find Krispy Kreme donuts, let alone glazed donuts! After going to 2 stores, I found the donuts and get excited. I woke up this morning and knew today would be fabulous - bread pudding made out of donuts. Then I looked in the fridge - NO eggs! What kind of slacker runs out of eggs? A quick call to a neighbor and I was set.
This recipe has lived up to the hype and expection - way over the top and super simple. I will make this again and again for special ocasisions.
I didn't actually use the original recipe from Paula. Instead, I used this simplefied recipe on the blog From My Tiny Kitchen , who generally followed Paula Deens ingenious idea. I agree with From My Tiny Kitchen that fruit cocktail is undesirable and has no place in this recipe.
Krispy Kreme Bread Pudding
- 1 dozen Krispy Kreme Doughnuts
- 1 can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 eggs
Butter Rum Icing
- Rum or rum flavoring, to taste
- 1/4 butter
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350F
- Cube doughnuts and place in large bowl
- In a smaller bowl, combine condensed milk and eggs
- Pour milk and egg mixture over doughnut pieces, stir and let sit for 15 minutes to absorb the liquid
- Plce the mixture in a shallow pan, squish down a bit and bake for 30-40 minutes. I used a 7X11 pan but a large pie plate or 8X8 or 9X9 or even a 9X13 would work.
- While the bread pudding is baking, prepare the sauce by melting the butter. Stir in powdered sugar and rum. I didn't have any rum and the mixture looked a bit curdled so I smoothed out the sauce with a bit of milk.
- When bread pudding is cooked through and a bit crispy on top, remove from oven and pour sauce on top.
|just out of the oven|
|With frosting - waiting for a few minutes to set before serving|
- I can't believe how good this was. I won't be going anywhere near the proximity of the pan until it's all gone - I have no will power! Astrid
Weight Watchers: it's almost ludicris to even bother caculating the Points Plus for this recipe. Each Krispy Kreme donut is 5 points. The entire dish is 140 Points Plus. You could probably get 10 servings out of this pan. I cut out a square to photograph, wrapped it up for the neighbor, took 3 little bites from the pan for me to sample, and left the rest to the teenagers!