Saturday, October 30, 2010

Tortilla Chips

Oven-baked tortilla chips with seasoning
I love chips - the crunch, the spice, the carbs...mmmm with sauce it's even better.  When I'm feeling energetic, I'll make my own tortilla chips using store-bought corn tortillas.

Preheat oven to 350F.  Spray a large sheet pan with cook spray or a bit of olive oil.  Quarter a handful of corn tortillas with a sharp knife.

Spread out on the sheet pan, spray/toss with a bit  more Pam or olive oil.  Sprinkle on a combination of salt, pepper, garlic salt, paprika, chili powder, cayenne etc.  Today I went with coarse salt, cumin, chili powder and  pepper.  Spread cut tortillas as evenly as possible in pan as a single layer.

Ready for the oven
Bake for 20-30 minutes, flipping chips over a time or two.  The chips should be firm but not crispy right out of the oven, they'll turn a bit crispy after cooling.  Unless you like REALLY crispy chips then bake a bit longer.
Just out of the oven

Each of these corn tortillas contain 40 calories, a gram of fiber, less than one gram of fat.  If not too much olive oil is used, you can enjoy a decent-sized bowl of these without too much guilt.

I'll use a few with my left-over quinoa and some hotsauce for dinner.

Tomorrow, we'll be attending a Halloween Party and I'll be using a few more as a sort of Middle-Eastern fattoush kale salad.

Astrid

No comments:

Post a Comment