Wednesday, October 13, 2010

If You Need an Excuse to Buy a Vitamix - Here it is....Hummus!



For years I've been making hummus, using the traditional ingredient called tahini as part of the recipe.  And as you know, tahini is a bit expensive, see add on the left sidebar.  It's the brand I use.  Tahini is a sesame paste, sort of like peanut butter, made from toasted sesame seeds. 

A few weeks ago I made hummus using my usual recipe in the Vitamix and it was a wonder - incredibly smooth - oh yeah....I thought I had justified my Vitamix.

Today, I was on the Paupered Chef's blog  and he was lamenting his difficulties making tahini and I remembered that I was intending to try the Vitamix version of hummus that uses sesame seeds instead of tahini.

When I got home from work, I whipped up a batch of hummus in the Vitamix using sesame seeds instead of tahini.  And let me tell you, it's great.  The Vitamix makes the smoothest hummus, even when starting with sesame seeds, not tahini!  The cost of using sesame seeds over tahini over the 7 year warranty of a Vitamix probably makes up for a few hundred dollars.  I'll do the math later to justify to myself that the Vitamix was a great purchase, but for now....bring out the chips!

Recipe
In a Vitamix or other high speed blender, and in this order, add to container

2 cans of chickpeas, one drained and one with liquid
1/4 cup raw sesame seeds (I used toasted as it was all I had and the hummus was still smooth)
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/4 cup lemon juice
1 garlic, peeled
1 tsp of cumin
salt to taste

Blend on high speed for a minute and be prepared to be amazed!

Astrid

No comments:

Post a Comment