Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Chocolate Dipped Apricots

Chocolate dipped dried apricots

This is a really fun and easy recipe.  I don't make this very often but when I do, I'm reminded that it's actually a pretty healthy snack/dessert and that I should make it more often, it's not the worst of my dietary sins.

The basic method also lends itself to endless variations and permutations.  Chocolate dipped dried mango, dried apple....a bit less healthy but either substitute white chocolate for dark or drizzle white chocolate on top of the dark chocolate for a bit of flair. For an extra zing, sprinkle with crushed pistachios or other nuts.

The ratio of chocolate to fruit is 1/2 cup chocolate chips to 24 dried apricots halves, more or less.

Trader Joe's Chili Spiced Pineapple, dried apricots, and semi sweet chocolate

Half cup of chocolate chips and a thick microwaveable cup

After 30 second in the microwave - stir

After 60 seconds in the microwave, stir and microwave a few more seconds to make the chocolate flow better

Dip fruit, place on wax paper and freeze 10 minutes to firm up the chocolate

Chocolate dipped chili spiced pineapple

Chocolate dipped dried apricot
As per my usual, I was pleasantly surprised how good this tasted and vowed to not let too much time go by before I do this again.  This would have tasted a bit better if I had a higher quality chocolate but even with a store brand of semi sweet chocolate instead of a 70% dark chocolate bar, this still tasted wonderful.

I was able to whip this up while I was preparing the rest of our meal.  The basic recipe isn't very complicated or time intensive.  It's all in the planning and this little quickie is worth a few extra minutes in the kitchen.

Astrid

No comments:

Post a Comment