Monday, October 18, 2010

America's Best Donuts

Spudnut Donuts, Richland Washington
Yahoo Travel posted a story about the country's best donuts here

The list included 10 locations including Voodoo Donuts in Portland Oregon, which is on my list to try. I've seen some of their offerings on the Internet over the years, I'm pretty sure the maple bacon is food for the gods.  When the kids ask me what I want for Mother's Day, I ask that they run to the local grocery store (Busch's) and pick me up a box of maple bars, I'll be in the kitchen frying up a pan of bacon.  Now, here's the tricky part, lay a piece of bacon on top of the maple bar and enjoy!

Of the 10, I've only been to Spudnuts in Richland Washington.  And I say that loosely, I've been to that location more times than I care to admit on the Internet!  The place opens early in the morning to start their spudnut-making operation for the breakfast rush  - it was a great place to bring a wakeful child.  Coffee was $1 (including tax) with free refills and coming early gave you a better chance to score the cinnamon spuds, which usually flew out the store.

Where I worked at the time, we had a great RULE, if you forgot your building entry badge, you had to bring a big box of spudnuts to share.  Spudnuts were boxed in empty cardboard soda boxes lined with parchment paper which was stapled closed over the treats.  Spudnut boxes were a fixture around the office, eliciting a Pavlovian response.

Astrid

No comments:

Post a Comment