Monday, January 17, 2011

Rhubarb Cake


While digging through our chest freezer, I found some frozen rhubarb from our garden.  The dead of winter in Michigan seems like a good time to make something tasty out of home-grown goodness.  I used a recipe from Cooking Books for a simple rhubarb cake.

1/2 stick butter (1/4 cup), melted
1/3 cup milk
2 eggs
1 cup sugar
1 1/4 cups all purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 large stalk rhubarb, cut in 1/2 inch pieces, enough for spreading around a 9 inch pan.

Grease a 9 inch round cake pan or springform pan. Preheat the oven to 350F.  I find it easier to use parchment paper that I fit in the bottom and use Pam spray to cover the paper and side. 

Since I had already chopped and frozen my rhubarb, I poured some into the pan to see how much I would need to cover the bottom - 2 cups.


Cut the rhubarb into small pieces and set aside, discarding both ends of the stalk.

In a medium bowl, beat the eggs and sugar together until light, fluffy and a pale yellow. About 1 minute. Add the melted butter and the milk and beat until incorporated. Then add the flour and baking powder. Continue to beat until just combined.

Pour the batter into the prepared cake pan.


Arrange the rhubarb slices on top of the batter and place on the middle rack of the oven.
Bake for 30-35 minutes. Mine actually took 45 minutes.  So keep an eye on the cake.

Remove from the oven and turn out onto a cooling rack.


Serve and enjoy.

Astrid

No comments:

Post a Comment