Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Quick Spicy Good Dinner


Tonight was another quick dinner, as we've run out of both dried black and pinto beans.  This means that I resorted to using canned beans from my basement stash.  It's nice to have a standard weekly dinner rotation schedule to adhere to - Wednesday is Mexican day.  So even though I didn't have enough of the usual dried beans on hand, I was able to come up with another version of beans and give it spicy flavor and accents, without stressing about what to serve for dinner.  I have a general theme for each night of the week - one less decision to make when I get home from work!

Ingredients
2 cans black beans
1/2 cup salsa
3 oz of sausage, I had Italian chicken sausage on hand from a recent Costco trip
flour tortillas
salad greens
cheddar cheese
tortilla chips
extra salsa and hot sauce for serving

Heat rinsed and drained black beans along with salsa and minced sausage.  Serve on top of salad or in a tortilla with cheese.  This combination of 2 cans of beans, salsa, and a bit of sausage made enough for my salad plus 6 burritos, plenty for 5 people.  There was also salad and chips.

This dinner came together in a heartbeat. I'm on the Weight Watcher's program so I don't eat flour tortillas AND tortilla chips in one sitting any more.  Tonight, I made a "taco salad" with the main ingredients.  And it was delicious.

Astrid

Weight Watchers Points Plus: 2 points for 6 tortilla chips, 2 points for 1/2 cup black beans, and 1 point for chicken Italian sausage.  For a total of 5 points. And it was yummy.

No comments:

Post a Comment