Saturday, January 29, 2011

Apple Pancakes

Fluffy Apple Pancakes
The kids usually clamour for pancakes on the weekend and I usually make an excuse why I don't want to make them - not enough time, too much mess, blah blah blah.  But every now and then, I start feeling guilty and I'll whip up a batch and then wonder what I was mentally complaining about. 

Pancakes are easy enough to make and it's easy to add healthy ingredients that aren't easily detected. 

Today I added a cored apple to the mix, skin and all.  Nobody was the wiser.  With the sweetness of the red apple, no extra sugar is needed in the batter or much maple syrup for serving.  This will be our little secret.

In a medium bowl, add the following:
2 cups flour
3 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda

In a blender container, add the following:
1 egg
1 tablespoon butter
1 cup milk
1 medium apple cut in eights and core removed

Blend blender ingredients for 30-60 seconds until the apple has thoroughly combined with the other ingredients and there are no chunks.  Notice the little red flecks from the skin.


Stir wet into dry ingredients, just until mixed.  Let sit undisturbed on the counter for 5-10 minutes.

Cook pancakes in your usual manner.

I use a non-stick pan with a bit of Pam spray.  I heat the pan to medium-high then reduce the heat to medium.  These pancakes take about 2 minutes per side, although they are not cooked all the way through yet.  When all the batter is used and pancakes cooked, I place the plate of pancakes in the microwave for one minute on high.  This reheats the earlier pancakes and finishes cooking the last of the interior batter.

Enjoy!

Astrid

No comments:

Post a Comment