Monday, January 10, 2011

Winter Survival


Each school year in January,  who ever is a 5th grader in our family, takes a field trip to an open space to learn "winter survival".  The cool thing about having a bunch of kids is that these sort of trips become routine and part of the undulating rhythm of life.  When a school list comes around with instructions such as:

bring extra socks, mittens, and a hat
aluminum foil
tongs
buffalo meat

I know exactly what's going on.  No surprising this old dog.

I haven't been on one of these trips....I don't like the great outdoors but Craig went along this year and took some great photos of the fun.

The kids are accompanied by a naturalist plus teachers and lucky parents.  They learn cool stuff including how to start a fire and prepare lunch.

When I got home after work today, my son was brimming with excitement - a good time was had by all.




Astrid

No comments:

Post a Comment