Saturday, January 15, 2011

Carrot-Celery Soup

Carrot-celery soup with a dollop of Greek yogurt

I was in the mood for a soul-warming soup for lunch today so I looked in the fridge and came out with carrots, celery, and apricots.

Ingredients
Equal amounts of carrots and celery.  I used 3 large mutant carrots and 1/3 of a bundle of celery
5 dried apricots (40 grams)
1 bay leaf
1 tablespoon dried curry powder
salt and pepper to taste


Peel and chop carrots, celery and apricots.
Add chopped carrots, celery and apricots to a medium sauce pan, add 4 cups of water, a bay leaf and a tablespoon of dried curry powder.
Bring to a boil, cover and turn heat down until soup is simmering.  It took about an hour for all the veggies to become super tender. 

I like my soups pured and creamy.  And the kids don't like chunks of veggies so I poured the mixture, minus the bay leaf, in my high-speed blender.

Blend soup, pour back into pan and season with a bit of salt and pepper.

Soup with a dollop of sour cream and tropical fruit smoothie
My poor photographic skills don't do this soup any justice - in real life, this soup was way more orange and prettier!  Along with a bit of sour cream or yogurt stirred in, this soup came out smooth and rich and deliciously creamy.  I'll be making this again as I usually have all these ingredients on hand, ready to whip up on a cold winter day.  For a summer time dish, the veggies could be quick cooked in a pressure cooker and served cold, along with a bit of Greek yogurt.

Astrid

No comments:

Post a Comment