Saturday, January 15, 2011

Lemon-Lime Cupcakes

Lemon-lime cupcake with lime cream-cheese frosting
It's cold and dreary out today, like we're living inside a ping pong ball.  I'm finding myself gravitating towards tropical foods as winter drags on - tropical foods feel like sunshine. 

To combat the winter dreariness, I made lemon-lime cupcakes this morning.  I used a lemon-flavored cake mix and zipped it up a bit with fresh lime zest and juice.

Cold and blustery outside - warm and cozy inside
I made the cupcakes as directed along with a bit of lime zest.  After preparing the mix, bake in pans to make 12 or 24 cupcakes.  I made 12 large cupcake.

12 cupcakes, ready for the oven
These 12 large cupcakes baked for 20 minutes.

allow to cool for a few minutes, then remove from pan and continue to cool
Cream cheese frosting
I prepared lime frosting using a stick of butter, 8 ounces of cream cheese, juice of a lime, zest from the lime, plus enough powdered sugar to make a nice thick frosting. 

In a medium bowl, mix butter and cream cheese until combined.  Add lime zest and juice from the lime.  Mix to combine.

Continue to add powdered sugar.  I used a standard ice cream scoop to portion out the frosting for the 12 cupcakes.


I didn't do anything fancy, just used a knife to spread the frosting around a bit


Inside-out cupcake
Why did I not know about the inside-out cupcake?  This makes so much sense!  I'm watching my daughter break her cupcake in two horizontally and wondering what she's up to know?  And then I "see"!!! She turned the top upside down and now she has a cupcake sandwich!  According to Kathrin, "everybody" knows about this.  How about you, did you know?  I'm going to lay down now, I've just learned something new today!

Enjoy!

Astrid

No comments:

Post a Comment