Thursday, December 30, 2010

Family and Friends Bike Photo Project

Marie deBaar-Lippens (1909-1994)

When my parents were here last week, my Dad brought along a thumb-drive with 344 family photos that he had meticulously collected and notated with names, dates, and locations.  As I was scrolling through them, I got a wild hair to do a similar post to this one http://carfreeinannarbor.blogspot.com/2010/12/vintage-photos-of-bikers-in-copenhagen.html .  The blogger, Copenhagenize, recently posted vintage photos of people biking in Copenhagen.  My plan is to focus the photos of family and friends.

As I'm mentioning my plan to my parents, I hear a derisive sound and a reply that went sort of like this (and I'm paraphrasing)

Don't be silly, Dutch people ride bikes all the time, it's a normal activity so nobody takes photographs.....Oh......

My Mom and Dad are good parents so they went home and starting combing through old boxes of photos and checking with relatives. 

At the top of this post is a photo of my mother's mother - my first in a series of Family and Friends Biking photos.  This photo was taken in about 1972 at a campground in a southern province of The Netherlands.  My grandmother, Oma, was 63 years old at the time.  The people walking in the background are my aunts and one of my younger cousins in the stroller.

If you have any vintage photos of people on bikes, shoot me a copy and I"ll post the story as an ongoing project.  It seems biking is in my blood.

Happy trails

Astrid

1 comment: