Sunday, January 9, 2011

Curried Lentils and Rice

Curried lentils and rice
Here's a dish that I sort of threw together while I was preparing chocolate chip cookie bars here....my philosophy is that when I'm in the kitchen, might as well cook large quantities and more than just one thing at a time - maximize my food production.

Ingredients:
1 cup dried green lentils
1 big handful baby carrots
1/2 cup white rice
4 tsp olive oil
1 medium onion

Rice, lentils, curry powder, fennel seeds, baby carrots, onion
 1.  Rinse lentils, add to a medium sauce pan with 4 cups of water.  Bring to a boil, cover and gently simmer until tender.  For some reason, my lentils always take longer to cook than what's in most recipes.  For me, this took about an hour.

2.  Add rice, cover and continue to gently simmer for another 20 minutes or so.  When the rice and lentils are tender and the water has been absorbed, cover and turn off heat.

3.  Shred carrot and finely chop onion. 

4.  Heat oil in another sauce pan and saute onions and carrots.

5.  When the onions and carrots are soft, add fennel seeds and curry powder.  Stir and continue to cook over low heat.

6.  When both pans are done cooking, add the onion-carrot mixture to the lentil-rice mixture.  Season with salt, pepper and more curry powder to taste.

A small diced onion and a handful of shredded baby carrots

Sauteing onion and carrots in 4 teaspoons of oil



Onions, carrots, and spices coming along nicely


Rice and lentils are tender and the water is almost absorbed

this made 6, one cup servings

I think this would freeze well.  Next time I might double the recipe and freeze in serving sized portions to take for lunch at the office.

Astrid




No comments:

Post a Comment