Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Happy Birthday to My Grandmother

Omi

Today is my grandmother's 98th birthday. I phoned her this morning to wish her well and she's still chipper, asking about my holiday plans and such.

The Dutch word for grandmother is "Oma" but after her first great grand child was born 18 years ago, we needed a different variation on the theme to differentiate between great grandmother and grandmother.  She choose "Omi" for herself so that my mother could be the new Oma.

I have no scientific evidence but in addition her being blessed with longevity genes, her general wellness can be attributed to good eating.  When I was a child in the late 60's, I would have lunch with her and my grandfather, and as a treat, they would make me carrot juice.  They owned a juicer!  I"m pretty sure this is when I started coveting kitchen gadgets, a habit that hasn't abated over the last 40 years. 
(Note to self: eat more veggies)

Omi still putters around a bit in her assisted living home and meets her friends for meals and coffee in the dining room.   This morning, in honor of her birthday, family and friends came to visit.  I can imagine the coffee and  pastries.....

Astrid

No comments:

Post a Comment