Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Day 21 - Thinking About this Past Week

This is the last day of the third week and I was thinking about my approach to journaling my meals the last few days. .  The previous weeks were more planned out and written down bite for bite.  I started the third week feeling good about my success the last two weeks. Tthis week meal planning and journaling was a little more haphazard and I don't think I was as honest about the little "bites" here and there.  I journald the main meals and snack early in the day but not always update the daily totals when there were some indiscretions.  The old habit of having a bite of this or a lick of that started creeping into my routine again.  My success over the last two weeks relaxed my resolve.  I believe that I"ll be "paying the piper" at the scale tomorrow morning. 

This reminds me of all the other times that I've embarked on a weight loss journey and became frustrated with the idea that I will never be an intuitive eater, described by Wiki as

Intuitive eating is a nutrition philosophy based on the premise that becoming more attuned to the body's natural hunger signals is a more effective way to attain a healthy weight; rather than keeping track of the amounts of energy and fats in foods. It's a process that is intended to create a healthy relationship with food, mind, and body. Intuitive Eating, just like the many books available today, goes by many names, including non-dieting or the non-diet approach, normal eating, wisdom eating, conscious eating and more.
It's frustrating to be reminded yet again that I will always have to keep track of what I eat on a daily basis.  I don't seem to have enough common sense or natural ability to gauge when enough is enough and put the fork down.  In the grand scheme of things, it's probably not the worst thing in the world to forever jot down what I eat and count the calories.  Onward and upward...today, I will journal better and not succumb to the BLTs (bites, licks, and tastes).  As we say at the office, it's all about continuous improvement

Breakfast - 2 eggs (150)
Lunch - salad greens, grilled chicken, balsamic dressing (300) chocolate (50)
Snack Buddy - V8, peanut butter, carrots and celery (250)


Dinner - 1 cup left over green tomato chili from this weekend with a few tortilla chips (400?)

How about you, are you an intuitive eater or do you need stricter accounting in your day?

Astrid

No comments:

Post a Comment