Sunday, February 27, 2011

More Black Bean Soup

Black Bean Soup
I haven't cooked regular meals all week as the Boyz have been out of town over Winter Break.  Now the cold slap of reality has set in and I'm contemplating lunch.  I'm thinking a quick soup with some packaged frozen Taquitos (corn tortillas rolled around chicken and cheese).  I title this post "more black bean soup" as I make soup most weekends - see another version with dried beans here

Black beans, salsa, celery, carrots, and 1/2 of an onion
3 cups of chopped vegies - I had about equal amounts of onion, celery, and carrots. 
1 tablespoon cooking oil
1 cup water
1 cup of prepared or fresh tomato salsa
1 can of drained and rinsed black beans

Chop vegies.  The exact amount isn't that important and neither is the combination.  The point is to add a bit of bulk.  The veggies don't need to be evenly chopped either as I plan to purree the mixture in a blender for a smooth soup.  I hate the complaining about chunks in soup.....you could leave it a little courser, texture can be  nice at time.

Heat oil in a medium sauce pan
Add veggies and saute until starting to brown the onions a bit
Add the water and salsa
Continue to gently boil until veggies are tender - about 20 minutes
Add the beans
Heat through
Pour into a blender or use a stick blender to puree to desired consistency
Reseason with a bit of salt, pepper, cumin, paprika etc.. to give the soup some zest.

Serve with sour cream, shredded cheddar, chips....it's all good.

A quick and satistying lunch. 

I watched the movie Red last week with Bruce Willis.  He's not getting any younger but was great in his role as a retired secret agent.  He was called "grandpa" as a taunt by a younger agent.  As the fist fight starts between them, the old Aerosmith song, Back in the Saddle starts up.  A great scene - old guy still kicking butt.

As for me....I'm back in the saddle, preparing regular meals with all the four food groups.

 I love these - 2 Weight Watchers Points Plus each

Astrid
My plate is upper right - the minimalist

Weight Watchers Points for soup - 3 points for oil, 7 points for beans, no points for veg..10 points for the pan or 2 points for a nice sized serving.  Extra points for cheese, chips, sour cream, Taquitos etc.  The taquito and soup make for a 4 point meal. for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment